You might be aware why eating right food is important. Someone or the other must have told you to stay on the right food diet. Eat timely. Don’t skip meals. Eat your foods slow, chew them properly and eat food like medicine etc etc.
If you ask me what is the link between nutritious food on health.
There are many benefits of right food that I am sure everyone is aware of, some of the basics are:
- Provides energy.
- Body growth.
- Maintenance or repair of broken tissues.
The impact of wrong food on your health.
You might be aware that people started getting acquainted with obesity as they start growing up. It’s not just obesity. Obesity is the base of many common health problems we have heard of like diabetes, heart disease, hypertension (High blood pressure), osteoporosis and many more.
Knowledge of eating food habits is as important as getting educated in schools and colleges. Both of them work with a similar motive. I guess that is leading to a happier life. But there is least amount of emphasis on educating people about food.
Today approximately about 30 percent of the world is dealing with the disease called as obesity. It is becoming one the most severe epidemic people are facing. But no one care to talk about it.
But I am here to tell you why does it happen?
Why is eating right food important?
What are basic components of food and what amongst them do we need to consume?
You know our normal diet lacks in many factor. Its haywire, unstructured and absolutely not in right proportion. This means, it provides with something we need more in less amount and something that we don’t need in excessive amount.
How do we define food?
Food is anything that the body needs for providing energy, growth and maintenance and working on various processes in the body.
Materials that stimulate such activities are called nutrients.
There are six basic types of nutrients food provides.
They can be listed as-:
You know carbohydrates are the basic source of energy in the body.
It is present in form of sugars, starches and fiber.
Is carbohydrate good or bad?
Carbohydrates are really inexpensive source of energy in comparison with other nutrients. And our food is full with a large of amounts of carbs. They are mainly present in the form of sugars, starches and fiber.
At the same time its study is very important because as it is a basic constituent of the food we eat. It has various effects on our health too.
Carbs can be narrowed down into two parts.
- Available carbs – Such type of carbs are easily digested in the body.
- Unavailable carbs – Are not easily digestive, because our body lacks enzymes they need to respond.
Pro tip- Unavailable carbs doesn’t mean you don’t need them.
Some facts about carbs:
- Our daily diet should consist of not less than 100 g of carbs.
- Carbs are essentially required for the transformation of fat into energy. i.e Keto diet.
- It is the cheapest source of energy available.
- Glucose a form of carbs is the form of energy or the only form of energy to be used by central nervous system. This mean brain does receive proper energy when blood glucose level falls and vice versa.
- Carbs in deficiency enables fat to break which later starts producing ketones in large amounts, resulting in condition called as ketosis. Dietary fiber plays a very vital role in increasing mass which by holding and soaking water, eliminate residual facial waste.
- Fiber also helps in lowering the cholesterol level in the body.
What does deficiency of carbs in the diet do?
Deficiency of carbs is a myth in a country like India. Where majorly we rely on cereal based food. But if body lacks carbs the body starts using the healthy fat stored in the body to use as an energy. This results in body turning lean and very thin.
What does excess carbs do?
As a deficiency of carbs results into some more trivial problems. The excess of carbs results into more.
- Excessive carbs in the form of sugar generally depresses your appetite to some extent and it provides hollow calories which results in malnutrition.
- Excessive carbs gets converted into fat which leads in a condition of obesity.
- Excess of carbs in the form of fiber results into irritational intestine which leads to a bloat in stomach and cramps due to gas formation.
Few rich sources of carbs that are readily available and can be a part of our everyday food.
Wheat, rice, oats, lentils, rajmah (Kidney beans), green peas, potatoes, banana, ground nuts, sugar, jaggery.
Pro tip – Now calculate the size of the food and carbs it offers and design your diet according to that. It should be a mix of everything like some carbs from dietary fibre , a little from sugar etc
Make sure you should not take it in excess and also not lack at it.
Protein is the only nutrient present in food that leads to the development of new cells and helps in rebuilding tissues.
Some quick facts about protein:
- The body growth:
- It helps in the maintenance of broken tissues in the body.
- Just like carbs, proteins also provide energy.
- Proteins are made up of important units called as amino acids.
- No two Proteins in food are the same it depends on the amount and kind of amino acids present in that food. Even if one amino acid is missing, protein cannot be synthesized.
Level of protein required by your body depends on few factors:
- Your body weight –
Ideally our body needs 1g/kg body weight it’s the same for both men and women.
- Your health goal –
Several people who are following some strict regime for building large muscles require and can consume that amount of protein.
- Some ongoing health issues –
Malnutrition or unhealthy people requires high level of protein.
- Quality of Protein intake –
Quality of intake of protein which means the food you are using as a source for protein.
How to improve protein quality:
- This involves using a small quantity of protein from different sources in your meal.
- Generally some plant food misses the level of protein. Mixing of plant based food with other may do the work for you. Like mixing beans with broccoli.
- Animal based protein.
- Protein Indian diet.
Some cereals and pulses with some green leafy vegetables will get the deal for you.
Like Rajma (Kidney beans) rice (brown rice will be the best), missi roti, idli .
- Plants based proteins mixed with animal based proteins are one the best food combination.
Plants based protein mixed with little animal protein is more effective than consuming just animal based protein.
What happens when body lacks protein?
Few very basic problems that are faced are:
- Deficiency in infants leads to a disease called as kwashiorkor (deficiency of protein).
- Loss of weight, increase of fatigue, lesser resistance to infections etc are very common.
What happens when protein is in excess?
- First you start losing a lot of money because it’s bit expensive to follow.
- High Protein intake is a burden on liver and kidneys.
- It increases the risk of high blood levels of cholesterol.
- Loss of calcium through urine.
Some readily available sources of proteins:
Protein from some sources like eggs, meat, pulses, ground nuts, vegetables, paneer (cottage cheese) are easy and not so expensive to follow.
Protip – Many vegetables when not accompanied with anything are not a source of protein and also many fruits consist of no proteins.
Animal food sources provide highest quality of proteins such as meat, fish, shell fish, poultry and organ meats.
When looking for right protein source start mixing the diet, such as veggie with chicken breast is one of those dish you can try.
Function of fats –
- Provides energy.
- Increases the effect of Protein
- Fat is very essential for some hormone such as sex hormone.
- Fat slows the production of gastric juice and speed of digestion.
Well do you feel amazed by seeing this? All this time people thought to reduce the level of obesity the best way is to stop the consumption of fat whereas adequate amount of fat is important for the body to meet its daily requirements.
What does deficiency of fat do?
- Results to the condition obesity (body weight 20 percent more than what’s normal).
- Leads to cardiovascular diseases.
- Toad skins.
- Results in characteristic eczema and skin lesions.
Some tips to reduce the intake of fat in your normal diet.
- Start using cow milk or skimmed milk and its products instead.
- Steam, boil, and poach food in place of frying / roasting.
- Avoid pastries for desserts use fruits instead.
- In you are so fond of flavor in food use herbs, spices and lime juice instead of fats..
- Substitute pickles with dry powdered chutneys of flax and Niger seeds
- While encapsulation of animal based food in diet use lean meat and remove visible fat.
- Use a low fat dressing for your salad.
I think the value of water as a nutrition should not be undermined. Do you know water is the most vital constituent our body needs?
I will tell you why and how?
- Water is of utmost importance for structuring and functioning of all cells and tissues in the body.
- Sources of water except from the water we drink are from beverage and from the food.
- Water works as a medium for all the chemical reactions in the body and also as a lubricant, temperature regulator and source that helps in excreting the waste products.
Pro tip – An adult should consume a minimum of 4-5 liters of water every day for proper functioning of body.
Vitamins are categorized as micro nutrients which means our body needs it in very less amount. That also doesn’t mean our body doesn’t need it.
Vitamins and it’s sources
- Fat soluble vitamins.
- Vitamins A – It is present in animal food only, start feeding your body with animal based products.
Caratone which is said to be as an precursor of vitamin A is found in yellow, orange, red fruits and vegetables, green vegetables.
- Vitamin D – Sunlight is the required source for it.
- Vitamin E and vitamin K – Although such vitamins so much widespread in nature. It’s deficiency is rarely seen.
- Water soluble
- B complex
- Vitamin C – Found in fresh fruits, vegetables and sprouted grain
Pro tip – Nowadays there many multi vitamins pills available in the market. It can be taken as substitute if you feel your body is not being able to meet vitamins expectations.
Animal food is always good option for the body.
The last comes in the category is minerals. They can be said to be an inorganic elements required by the body to carry out its functions properly.
- Minerals help in regulating the activities of nerves.
- They control water balance.
- They helps in activating enzymes.
- Minerals are of utmost importance in forming the structural components of bones, teeth, muscles, soft tissues, blood.
- Carry crucial importance in clotting of blood.
Some minerals needed by the body and sources they can be derived from are-
- Milk and milk products eliminating butter, ghee, cream.
- Green leafy vegetables specially cabbage, cauliflower, carrot.
- Dry fish, nuts, oilseeds.
- Pro tip- Take betel leaf with slaked lime it is a rich source of calcium.
Nuts, carrots, fish, milk and meat are rich sources.
- Green leafy vegetables, jaggery, liver, organ meats, egg yolk etc are rich sources.
- Pro tip– Use of iron cooking utensils while cooking food helps in contributing to the iron level in the body.
To suffix the level of iodine in the body the salt that is used in cooking is iodized. Apart from this seafood are rich sources of vitamins.
Fish, milk and eggs are rich sources of fluorine.
Pro tip – Fluoridation of water to ensure concentration of fluoride is a great way to manage it.
Milk, green leafy vegetables, egg white, poultry, beetroot are the best sources of sodium.
Pro tip – Sodium additives can be used as a substitute.
Fruits, vegetables, whole grains, nuts, pulses are rich sources of potassium.
Nuts, whole grains, cheese, milk, fish and meat are some easy source of magnesium rich food.
All you need to do is maintain the right balance of every food nutrients to maintain a stable and healthy diet.
Once you start following these the effects you will see in the form of mental and physical health are bizarre.
You need to balance your diet in form of carbs intake, protein and fats. Maintaining them together will help you in maintaining the minerals and vitamins level the body needs to function.
Please let us now in the comment box what is your normal diet plan?